Wednesday 26 August 2015

I'm not there! Are you?

Bryce Edwards' Twitter feed pointed me towards an interesting new piece of research from the Lifestyles Research Group at the University of Otago - 'Change, Challenge and Choice: A New Zealand Consumer Lifestyles Study'. It's an interesting insight into our collective beliefs and behaviours, and rings true, sometimes almost archetypically: I was amused to see that one of the statements New Zealanders most disagree with is "I keep my wardrobe up to date with fashion".

This is the sixth instalment of what is now becoming a pretty impressive longitudinal survey (dating back to 1979). The guts of it is a derivation of seven different consumer segments, based on cluster analysis of quite a large survey sample (2,036) and a large number of questions (almost 600). Here is the key result: there's more detail on each segment in the full paper.


The cluster analysis fits the data pretty well, and no doubt marketers, and others, will be thinking up cunning plans to pitch to the different segments.

I've got only one, eentsy issue with it: I don't seem to fit any of the boxes...what about you?

1 comment:

  1. Nope, nor me and what a strange comment about the "New Greens":

    While they generally believe that "tax is too high", they are in favour of competition.

    Why would somebody who believes that tax is too high not be likely to be in favour of competition?

    ReplyDelete

Hi - sorry about the Captcha step for real people like yourself commenting, it's to baffle the bots